Embedded operating systems for industrial applications
Published : 10/01/2020 15:45:00
After outlining the basic features of an embedded PC it is important to choose the suitable operating system and associate it to the selected hardware, in order to make the most of the technical characteristics of the machine within the industrial application identified. For these needs Digimax proposes itself as a partner with the aim of identifying the most reliable and convenient solution on the market.
What are the best operating systems for industrial applications?
The market of embedded operating systems is constantly updated and in order to guarantee the best solutions available, Digimax is constantly updated on the latest releases. Inside the technical laboratory, a team of experienced professionals is authorised to install the following operating systems:
- Windows 7 Professional
- Windows 7 Embedded
- Windows 10 Professional
- Windows 7 for Embedded systems
- Windows 10 IoT Enterprise 2016 ltsb
- Windows 10 IoT Enterprise 2019 ltsc
What are the differences between professional and embedded operating systems?
These operating systems, called embedded, differ from professional systems for some characteristics that make them particularly suitable for specific applications. Below are some of the prerogatives of embedded systems:
- Longevity over time: embedded solutions are guaranteed for over 10 years
- Updates: to ensure continuity of operations, updates are monitored and scheduled
- Focus: embedded operating systems are designed for specific uses
- Energy saving: thanks to a targeted set-up, the required power supply can be reduced considerably
- Strength and security: industrial software must guarantee high standards of safety and reliability.
How to customize the operating system?
Digimax offers its customers the possibility to customize the operating systems in various ways. The comparison between the needs of the project and the team of technicians is the added value to individue customizations or additional features to be applied in the operating system identified to make the industrial PC work at its best. Some of the most common customizations that the technical laboratory can perform are:
- UWF filter: allows you to make a hard disk unchangeable
- Kiosk mode: allows you to open a browser page in full screen on a pc or on a panel pc
- Logo customization: possibility to insert a logo at BIOS or operating system level
- USB access: useful to highlight which interface to activate
- AppLocker: allows you to restrict the programs that can be executed by certain users via group criteria
What are the main applications for embedded operating systems?
The industrial applications that require this type of technology cover a wide range of activities. Digimax has developed a deep knowledge within heterogeneous sectors such as industrial automation, robotics, railway, marine and medical applications till to focus on innovative and specific markets such as object tracking and machine vision, facial recognition for PPE use and Artificial Intelligence applied to robotics.
If you need more information or support on embedded operating systems, Digimax can provide you with know-how and experience gained in more than 25 years of activity.