Using the MQTT protocol in IIoT applications
Published : 10/09/2020 12:00:00
MQTT (Message Queuing Telemetry Transport) is a communication protocol that the Organization for the Advancement of Structured Information Standards (OASIS) has declared the reference standard in communication for the Internet of Things. Due to its nature, this language is perfect for applications where low bandwidth is available. The main advantages are shown below.
How it works and what is the MQTT protocol
The MQTT standard was invented in 1999, with the aim of managing connections between devices (machine to machine) efficiently and securely. The continuous diffusion of applications and IoT sensors has given new impetus to this protocol which, compared to the LoRa technology for long distances or for example to the HTTP model (client/server), uses a specific broker to exchange messages. In this way the device communicates to the broker, who will distribute the information to the client in a lighter and more precise way in one-to-many messaging.
MQTT: features and applications
The features that have led this protocol to be recognised as the standard for IIoT applications are many; here are the main ones:
- Efficiency: MQTT clients require minimal resources and can therefore be used on small microcontrollers to optimize network bandwidth.
- Bidirectionality: MQTT enables device-to-cloud and cloud-to-device messaging.
- Security: MQTT simplifies message encryption and client authentication using TLS and OAuth.
- Scalability: MQTT can connect with millions of IoT devices.
The applications of use embrace different aspects that can be found within smart industry scenarios.
- Possibility of predictive maintenance of production machinery.
- Renewal of production facilities or revamping.
- Tele-maintenance, tele-diagnosis and remote control of machinery.
- Energy optimization and intelligent management of the production phases.
- Real Time production status check.
- Smart parking and traffic management.
Over the years, Digimax has developed a strong expertise in the development of industrial automation applications and projects within markets such as railways, heavy industry, pharmaceutical industry, safety and alternative energy. We power your ideas and turn them into solutions.